Friday, January 15, 2010

I lots of learning!!

There have been doubters, people who think that I'm wasting my time at school. Well now I give you evidence! I am learning more in Latvia than I ever have before!! Behold my completed school work.


This first piece is called 'Es nesaprotu' ('I don't understand') There are many layers of meaning within this piece. The question mark is an obvious representation of my inability to comprehend the language spoken around me. However, the shape of the question mark is also conjures images of the human ear (I tried to draw an ear but I failed miserably). The words are crowding around the ear trying to be heard but they are just dripping out without being understood. These droplets also express my sorrow at being unable to understand the language.

This piece is called 'The Demise of the Bumblebee'. Here the artist has appropriated the well recognised 'cut here' line. Not only has it been brought out of it's usual context but it's behaviour has also been dramatically changed. By challenging the viewer's perception of the 'cut here' line the artist transforms the line from a symbol into an object.

The bee line also represents a transformation: from a movement into a symbol. However, the main role of the bee is to strengthen the scissors role as an object rather than a symbol. This is achieved when the bee is 'killed' after flying into the blade of the scissors.

Ahh, I miss college English.

Here are some more snow photos. I was trying to capture the frost that had occured two nights earlier. It left every branch coated in frosty ice. It was beautiful!



This last photo is the view from my room.

I really appreciate all the comments and emails. So nice to hear my work is being enjoyed.
Love to all
Zaiga

I'm off to learn how to sing 'Oops I did it again' in Latvian :)

5 comments:

  1. Wow WoW WOW! I love this post .. just commented before and seemed to have lost my comments..they were accepted ..I am confused

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rationales and the art works ..so elegant..the scissors one reminds me of piccies in Latvian children's books from when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure have mastered the art lingo! Within 3 months you will have a good command of Latvian. I did not understand a single word of english when I started school in Australia.

    ReplyDelete