Sunday, January 17, 2010

:D

After a morning of moping and complaining about the snow and how I couldn't get outside, the day took an unexpected yet lovely turn. We went skiing on the highest mountain in Latvia!!!!

Vinnija (my host mother) taught me how to x-country ski. An hour of 'skiing' later(if you can call it that) and I was slightly more coordinated (at least I was skiing faster than Vinnija could walk, even if it was only slightly). I thought it went quite well I conquered a massive hill (it felt massive) and I only fell down twice!!!

This is the big hill. It's 372m above sea level. Wow!!

This next one isn't the greatest quality but I'm actually skiing in it. I'm going up the big hill that I later slid down. Going up a hill on skis is pretty hard. Respect to all those x-country skiers I was watching on eurosport.

Snow Angel :)
Jānis (my host father) and I.

While I was taking my first slides as a skiier the boys busted out a 5km ski. Then when Vinnija and I hit the cafe they hit the slopes again. I spent this time sussing out the fashion on the fields. Everyone seemed to be in plain white, black, blue or red ski clothes with the exception of a few girls who haven't gotten over the 'OMG I'm a girl therefore I LOVE PINK' stage of life. However, two outfits stood out as clear winners. The first was a lady wearing an orange jacket and white and orange pants. They were tasteful and yet still stood out from the rest of the crowd. But the clear winner was a grey and yellow full body suit. It looked so cosy and I loved the yellow detailing down the side, in the hood and on the lining. Here is a picture of the winner (it isn't very good quality cos I was trying to take it surreptitiously). Basically I want this suit!!!



I also remembered today that I once said I was going to take a nice photo a day. And so I'm going to try to stick to that from now on. It's part of my plan to keep me busy. Also in my plan is to knit and go to the local art school (although at the moment it looks like the class age is 6-12. I think I could blend in.)

xoxo
Zaiga

1 comment:

  1. You could pretend to be one of those student teachers! That is up until you're spotted trying to learn from the kids...

    ReplyDelete