Thursday, March 4, 2010

School of Cool

This is something I wrote about a month ago but I never posted it because I was too shy to whip out my camera at school. Now here it is.

"I feel like I've settled in well at school over the past couple of weeks but there were a few things that I had to get used to.

My very first experience of my school was a scary one. Rūta and I walked to school and started climbing the steps to the front door. Only after my feet start slipping does she caution me that the steps are covered in ice ... thanks. Luckily I didn't slip and now skating to the front door is one of my favourite parts of the day. (NEWS FLASH: since I wrote this they have made the steps safer by putting down non-slip strips. Way to ruin my fun) Although opening the heavy door while your feet are slipping and sliding can be quite hard.

Just beyond the doors is a small front office that is tended by an imposing woman. The first day that i walked to school alone she accosted me in Latvian. I was like 'what?'. I somehow worked out that she thought I wasn't a student at the school and I tried to tell her I was. She settled down when I said (in Latvian) 'I'm from Australia!!'. She liked that. 'Oh! Australia!!!'. Since then we always exchange smiles as I walk in.

And then the other day our relationship reached a new level. We had a conversation!! It was in Latvian!! And I understood most of it!!! We talked about Latvia and how I liked it and where I was staying and yeah. That's as much as the language allowed for. But then she finished by telling me that I was a very pretty girl. I wasn't sure how to take that so I followed by year 8 SOSE teacher's advice, I smiled and nodded. My first friend at school :D.

But my favourite thing at school would have to be this ...

Yes we learn in cabinets. I'm still trying to figure out how they make those cabinets feel so roomy. :)

And this is what I do during class. :)
"

2 comments:

  1. Morning Z, I can't imagine life surrounded by snow, it is so very different for you. It must be hard not being able to speak freely with people. I laughed in the bit where you said you were from Australia. Like people wander in from Australia, all the time! At least it made her happy to let you in.

    We are booking a 6 week holiday in UK and Spain in December, I wonder how our kids will find the change in culture? Jul will have finished school by then.

    Big hug from us all and thank you for writing your blog, I've enjoyed reading it.

    Victorai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victorai must be my Latvian name

    ReplyDelete