Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Me!!

This is going to be a little long.

I received a concerned email from my mother the other day, she was concerned that perhaps I hadn't returned from the American Embassy. But I'm glad to say that I got out alive. The embassy visit was pretty boring. The highlight would have to be hearing the American diplomat speak Latvian, I hope my accent is slightly better.

What was good about the visit was that it was only for about an hour and a half. So the rest of the day was spent wandering the streets of Rīga with my host mother and sister. They took me to Rīga cinema which is an absolutely beautiful old theatre. We saw the latvian film 'Rudolfs Mantojums'. I couldn't understand much at all and so I spent the time making up my own dialogue, sleeping :) and staring at the amazing interior. The Latvians are very practical when it comes to crowd control. Instead of allowing you back out into the foyer after the movie they push you out a side door that leads straight into the street. You've had your movie now get out of here!

I also went to Rīga on saturday to visit the YFU mob. It was sooo beautiful!!! It was warm (-2) and snowing. And the YFU crew were awesome, sounds like I'll be doing some awesome things this year.

I had to keep myself amused somehow on the long train trips to Rīga and back and so I took my knitting. Here is the evidence:
Yes I am a cool kid.

Sunday was finally the day I got to ice-skate!! The morning was spent clearing the snow and then it began.
With these boots I was bound to succeed!

It might not look like I'm moving but I am ... I promise and all by myself!!!
Don't mess with me, I'm bound for the Latvian Hockey league.

But in my spare time I enjoy competitive ice-skating. I've been told I'm a natural.

I hope you enjoy all the photos of me and the stories about me. :)

2 comments:

  1. We're busting to know more about the YFU crew and other students. What nationality are current and previous students? Why do they choose Latvia? Do they have Latvian ancestry? Where are the others going to school? For how long?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the big helmet that you were wearing! you looked like a latvian speed skater skating to vancouver for the olympics in it! [mark]

    ReplyDelete